Comprehensive School Health Education: Totally Awesome Strategies for Teaching Health (7th Ed.). Boston: McGraw-Hill. Chapter 10
1. Describe the ways in which drugs enter the body, and outline the safe use of prescription, over-the-counter and off-label drugs.
2. Provide an overview of alcohol use, blood alcohol concentration, and the physical and behavioral effects of alcohol.
3. Examine the role of advertising and its influence on alcohol and tobacco use among young people.
4. Discuss the effects of nicotine on the body, the health consequences of tobacco use, and tobacco cessation programs.
5. Describe the major types of controlled substances, their effects on the body, and the health consequences of abusing them.
6. List the risk factors for the development of drug misuse and abuse, and the protective factors against misuse and abuse.
7. List the risks of drug use and abuse, and describe the development of drug dependence and unhealthy responses to family member’s addiction
8. Apply resistance skills to situations where pressured to misuse or abuse drugs
9. Explain how drug abuse can increase the risk of HIV infection and unwanted pregnancies
10. Explain how drug abuse can increase the risk of violence and accidents. 11. Discuss treatment options for drug misuse and abuse.